Skip Navigation

January-February 2017

Print
Email
ResizeResize Text: Original Large XLarge

The Mineral Collection of Cranbrook Institute of Science, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

CRANBROOK INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE IS A NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM located on the Defiance Moraine 25 miles northwest of downtown Detroit in southeast Michigan and attracts approximately 175,000 visitors per year. The institute is part of the internationally renowned Cranbrook Educational Community, which also includes Pre-K through Grade 12 college preparatory schools; a graduate Art Academy, and a contemporary Art Museum; the Center for Collections Research; and the Cranbrook House and Gardens. Founded by Detroit philanthropists George and Ellen Booth in 1904, Cranbrook's 319-acre campus was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1989.

John M. Zawiskie is the Curator in Residence of Earth and Life Sciences at Cranbrook Institute of Science where he develops exhibits, does research on Quaternary geology, and delivers educational programs; he also teaches Earth history as an adjunct faculty member in the Department of Geology at Wayne State University in Detroit.

The full text of this article is available by subscription only.

In this Issue

Taylor & Francis Group

© 2017 Taylor & Francis Group · 530 Walnut Street, Suite 850, Philadelphia, PA · 19106